This position is within the PC & Mac Engineering team that is part of the Digital Workplace Organization. The PC & Mac Engineering group is responsible for some existing but also many new and evolving functions such as applying US government security hardening to the Apple Sierra operating system, implementing setting changes to Macs to allow for GSuite use, and managing the Jamf servers. In many cases the actions of this team affect all 150,000 PC’s & Macs across Verizon locations in both the US and India. The engineers in this group need to have top level technical skills, an innovation mindset and the ability to lead cross IT teams to implement complex IT changes to a vast amounts of VZ employee machines. While this highly skilled IT engineering team both designs and implements new solutions and tools they also do some top tier desktop management. These issues are those that have already been escalated from the Help Desk, End User Support and Union techs so they tend to be more complex and at times affecting hundreds of end users. This team partners with Verizon’s hardware and software vendors as well as Verizon Networking, Security and Application teams to ensure the highest level of workstation availability and security.
· Utilize independent judgment and troubleshooting skills to resolve the top tier, most complex Windows & Mac problems in a timely manner that meets the end user’s satisfaction.
· Write code and scripts to change Apple Mac settings.
· Lead cross IT teams on outage bridges to resolve complex PC & Mac outages
· Run queries against a database to export inventory information, critical to target machines for certain security or patch updates
· Set browser standards for Chrome & Safari, setting security management and deploying both to all Apple Macs
· Partner with top level developers who rely on PC’s & Macs to build and deliver new tools to manage VZ business. One aspect is the Digital Workplace DevSpace open source software management tool and support
· Work with hardware vendors such as Apple & HP, as well as with major software vendors such as Microsoft, Apple and other vendors on both existing VZ standards and possible new tools for VZ
· Bachelor’s degree in Information Systems, related degree or 5-10+ years of experience in a related discipline
· Browsers- Very strong background with Browser standards and security setting management and deployment (IE11, Chrome, Edge, Safari, Firefox)
· 3+ years troubleshooting Apple operating systems, hardware and driver issues.
· 3+ years of hardware vendor management experience
· HR Assistive Technology - Understanding of how display and sounds options can be modified to help disabled employees. This is needed to work on Assistive Technology (End User Disability) tool management & support.
· Registry - Extensive experience with the Windows registry and policies, to better control, lockdown, secure and manage Windows PC’s
· Virtual Machines, local – Ability to use local VM’s and to support Mac users with VM’s
· Collaboration - Excellent teamwork and collaboration skills with the proven ability to work across organizational teams. Ability to work with our employee peers in India.
· Communication - Demonstrates, highly effective interpersonal, presentation, negotiation and decision making skills. Demonstrated excellent communication, customer management skills and presentations skills, both written and verbal and proven ability to communicate complex technical information.
· Decision Making Authority – Ability to make decisions and to take action after receiving guidance on objectives on the needs to VZ IT to improve the end user PC & Mac experience. Ability to tie tasks to team short term and also long term objectives.
· Flexibility - Ability to quickly shift priorities and adapt to new processes and methodologies
· Follow up - Proven organizational and follow up skills.
· Individual Contributor Role – Ability to apply some advanced technical or analytical skills to the position. Ability to identify key issues and patterns from partial or conflicting data. May adapt procedures, processes, tools, equipment and techniques to accomplish the requirements of the position. May assist in the preparation of detailed costs analysis and justification for technical application changes.
· Multitasking - Ability to manage multiple tasks / projects concurrently.
· Remote - Comfortable working with team members in a virtual environment
· Solutions - Demonstrated ability to develop quick solutions to resolve issues of high complexity.
· Urgency - Results oriented, strong sense of urgency, proactive and flexible
Equal Employment Opportunity
We're proud to be an equal opportunity employer- and celebrate our employees' differences, regardless of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, or Veteran status. Different makes us better.
Click here for more info: http://www.verizon.com/about/work/jobs/6719362-senior-systems-engineer
• Post ID: 50313183 northdfw