This job position will perform assignments of varied responsibility, scope and complexity. Day to day work can be comprised of acquisition/management of various right of way agreements and support, as an escalation resource for Outside Plant Construction as well as ongoing management of existing routes/sites, including the protection of established rights.
Responsible for the acquisition and management of all franchise type agreements allowing the company to utilize public rights of way for the installation, and operation of fiber network; leading and managing the effort to significantly enhance Franchise and related Agreements working with Legal, Regulatory, Tax, Risk Management and Government Affairs on local, state, and federal legislation impacting right of way use.
Manages, coordinates and negotiates with senior level internal attorneys, high profile outside counsel, and the executive level of staff and political representatives for municipal government’s management personnel, to include executive levels, internally to Verizon. Includes document research of company rights and negotiation of reimbursement agreements with private companies, Local/State/Federal agencies, and other providers associated with facility relocation´s.
- Associate’s degree or two or more years of work experience
- Two or more years of relevant work experience.
Ideally, you’ll also have:
- Seven or more years of professional experience.
- Extensive legal statute, case law, and preferably telecommunications industry experience.
- Ability to analyze federal, state, and local laws, applicable case law, and other regulations regarding a telecommunications provider’s use of municipal rights of way.
- Understanding and experience regarding Section 253 of the Telecommunications Act of 1996, including the equitable and nondiscriminatory treatment as determined by federal and state case law.
- Telecommunications industry knowledge including large and small cell wireless applications, understanding of regulations and obligations applicable to an Incumbent Local Exchange Carriers (ILECs) versus Competitive Local Exchange Carriers (CLECs), and FCC and state PSC/PUC regulation.
- Ability to understand complex business plans and to successfully negotiate contract terms and conditions to meet company objectives.
- Ability to compare competitor franchise agreements to those proposed by local governments, note variations, and negotiate for equitable treatment.
- Ability to persuade others through well thought arguments that comply with applicable law, meet municipal requirements, reduce unnecessary or burdensome regulations, and allow for effective franchise compliance moving forward.
- Experience with local government franchise ordinance approval process including document preparation, workshops, and city council public hearing process.
- Ability to represent Verizon at city council or county commission meetings in a professional and persuasive manner to effectively communicate company objectives.
- Familiarity with utility construction permit application process at the municipal (city/county) level, as well as, other regulatory agencies such as DOT, railroads, state land departments, and forest services.
- Familiarity with structure access request process allowed under the Telecom Act whereby a Competitive Local Exchange Carrier (CLEC) applies to lease available space upon poles or within underground conduit of an Incumbent Local Exchange Carrier (ILEC) or power company.
- General familiarity with utility outside plant construction terminology and techniques including facility locates, pole attachments, engineering plans, facility relocation, and directional drilling.
- Familiarity with certificates of insurance, surety bonds, and letters of credit.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite of products and Adobe Professional.
- SAP experience a plus.
Not to boast, but a little bit about us
Verizon powers America’s fastest and most reliable network. We’re also leading the way in cloud and security solutions, Internet of Things and video entertainment. Technology moves fast and so do we. We believe that bringing great ideas and customer experiences to life should be recognized and rewarded. Whether you think in code, words, pictures or numbers, find your future at Verizon.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We're proud to be an equal opportunity employer - and celebrate our employees' differences, regardless of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, or Veteran status. Different makes us better.
Click here for more info: http://www.verizon.com/about/work/jobs/6501421-outside-plant-engineer