Join our Information Technology team where you will work on new technologies and find ways to meet our customers’ needs and make it easy for them to do business with us. You will regularly lead multiple small to medium-size projects or one large project and perform project management activities such as planning, sizing, configuring and scheduling.
We are looking for an outstanding Senior Oracle Database Administrator (DBA) to support databases for over 100 applications, many of them considered critical in maintaining, provisioning, and monitoring Verizon’s global network. The candidate will play a key role in all new departmental initiatives while continuing to ensure the availability/stability of existing functionality.
This position is in a centralized database administration team, which provides 7x24 support in test/prod environments. The DBA is mainly responsible for maintaining highly visible production databases. Migrations to cloud platforms will require the team to become well-versed in public cloud offerings and processes so any experience in this area is a plus.
- Designing, installing, upgrading, patching, tuning, monitoring and troubleshooting databases with large amounts of data (Terabytes) and high transaction rates (4000 tps).
- Capacity planning, sql analysis, schema revisions, security administration and user account maintenance are also required tasks.
- Immediate participation in an active on call rotation required.
- Provide off hours support to avoid impacting database availability during normal business hours.
- Homogenize the performance of the database and optimize system resources
- Support efforts related to the proper protection from corruption & encryption of sensitive information
- Validate that programs are operating on clean, correct and useful data
- Enhance and Apply Technical Product Knowledge
- Understand a given solution to assess its alignment with business needs, particularly with the new DevOps framework.
- Keep abreast of emerging industry trends to continuously update Verizon’s operations and assess how competition differs from Verizon’s current state
- Communicate the business value of technical solutions
- Discover mutually beneficial solutions across customers while recognizing different styles
Candidate will be on call supporting mission critical systems 7x24. They will need to make what can be widely-impacting decisions on their own, in the middle of the night and while under great pressure. These decisions have a direct effect on availability and integrity of the databases we support. Anxiety runs high on problem bridges so the ability to stay calm and arrive at the best possible decision in the shortest amount of time is essential. They will have a significant amount of independence during these occurrences which is another reason technical knowledge and the ability to apply it is so important.
- Bachelor’s degree or two or more years of work experience.
- Two or more years of relevant work experience.
Ideally, you’ll also have:
- Your degree in Information Systems Even better if you have your Master’s degree in Computer Science.
- Seven or more years administering Oracle databases requiring the following skills:
- Software Products: Oracle 11g/12c RDBMS, Oracle 11g/12c RAC, OEM 12c/13c, RMAN, Oracle Dataguard (Physical and Active), Advanced Replication, Streams, Golden Gate, Partitioning, Advanced Security, Data Vault.
- Operating Systems: Linux (Redhat, OEL), Solaris, HPUX.
- Hardware environments: HP, SUN, DELL, Exadata.
- Programming Language(s): SQL, PL/SQL, Unix and Shell Scripting.
- Strong UNIX and Shell scripting.
- Experience with all phases of the Software Development Lifecycle, including system analysis, design, coding, testing, debugging and documentation.
- Teamwork & collaboration skills to work across organizations and lead cross-functional teams.
- Communication & stakeholder management skills.
- Problem solving skills to develop quick yet sound solutions to resolve complex issues.
- Oracle DBA Certification.
- Experience with internally developed Verizon applications is a plus.
Not to boast, but a little bit about us
Verizon powers America’s fastest and most reliable network. We’re also leading the way in cloud and security solutions, Internet of Things and video entertainment. Technology moves fast and so do we. We believe that bringing great ideas and customer experiences to life should be recognized and rewarded. Whether you think in code, words, pictures or numbers, find your future at Verizon.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We're proud to be an equal opportunity employer - and celebrate our employees' differences, regardless of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, or Veteran status. Different makes us better.
Click here for more info: http://www.verizon.com/about/work/jobs/6470158-senior-oracle-database-administrator