This position is a hands-on engineering leader with deep Cloud platform skills and DevOps/SDLC platform and tooling. This person is a continuous learner that is passionate about teaching, mentoring, and coaching others on improving how we build technology. Contributing to Open Source projects is a plus. In this role, you will work closely with teams to transform the way they work, leveraging Agile, DevOps, and Cloud principles and practices. You will gain experience across multiple technologies and applications and directly impact the Public Cloud and DevOps transformation across Verizon.
- Act as hands-on technical coach, accelerating the learning of Engineers across Verizon
- Pair with engineering teams to design and implement scalable, secure, and high performance solutions that enable development teams to move faster
- Drive strategy, patterns, (and working code) for how we apply Cloud platform and configuration as code practices across Verizon.
- Drive innovation by assessing, piloting, building DevOps/Cloud tooling and services to improve overall developer experience and productivity.
- Drive Cloud & DevOps engineering communities of practices across the organization.
- Bachelor’s degree or six or more years of work experience.
- Six or more years of relevant work experience.
- Experience in Information Technology.
Ideally, you’ll also have:
- Five or more years of relevant experience including in managing Linux/Unix platforms in web-scale deployments.
- Three or more years using Agile, Lean, and DevOps practices
- Strong ability to guide/lead teams and individuals toward beneficial outcomes Experience
- Experience with configuration management and automation tools such as: Chef, Puppet, and Ansible
- Experience with cloud-based infrastructure-as-a-service platforms: AWS, Google Compute Engine, Azure, Soft Layer, OpenStack, etc
- Experience with orchestration template technologies such as: OpenStack Heat, AWS Cloud Formation, Azure Resource Manager, Google Cloud Deployment Manager, and Hashicorp Terraform
- Experience with containers and container scheduling and management platforms such as: Docker, rkt, Mesos, or Kubernetes
- Experience with platform-as-a-service technologies such as: Pivotal Cloud Foundry, Red Hat OpenShift Container Platform, or Heroku
- Experience with telemetry solutions such as: DataDog, Sensu, Graphite, Influxdb,
- Experience with logging and reporting solutions such as: Logstash, Elasticsearch, and Kibana (ELK), Grafana, or Splunk
- Three or more years of relevant experience including in managing Linux/Unix platforms in web-scale deployments
- Understanding of automation practices throughout the development, build, and deployment phases of the application life-cycle
- Experience developing cloud-native applications that adhere to microservices and twelve-factor application principles.
- Experience with programming and scripting languages: Ruby, Go, Python, Perl, bash, ksh
- Experience with development using Github or Bitbucket
- Experience with infrastructure automation, infrastructure as code, automated application deployment, monitoring/telemetry, logging, reporting/dashboarding, and continuous delivery technologies
- Experience in building high-performance infrastructures that are scalable and resilient
- Proven ability to create clear and detailed technical diagrams and documentation
- Demonstrated ability to roll up your sleeves and implement alongside the other engineers being coached and developed
Not to boast, but a little bit about us
Verizon powers America’s fastest and most reliable network. We’re also leading the way in cloud and security solutions, Internet of Things and video entertainment. Technology moves fast and so do we. We believe that bringing great ideas and customer experiences to life should be recognized and rewarded. Whether you think in code, words, pictures or numbers, find your future at Verizon.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We're proud to be an equal opportunity employer - and celebrate our employees' differences, regardless of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, or Veteran status. Different makes us better.
Click here for more info: http://www.verizon.com/about/work/jobs/6463883-senior-cloud-engineer