- Design and implement highly distributed and scalable components.
- Solve complex software systems problems and leverage state-of-the-art technology.
- Use cloud infrastructure services and integrate with other 1st and 3rd party services.
- The Data Engineer position will be responsible for designing, developing & maintaining all parts of the data pipeline for Reporting and Analytics requirements.
- Functional Expert: Acts independently or as a member of a highly skilled technical team responsible for fulfilling complex business requirements with the implementation of reliable & efficient automated solutions; may be enterprise wide initiatives.
- Develops resolutions to complex problems that require the frequent use of creativity. Analysis of situations or data requires an in-depth evaluation of variable factors. Exercises judgment in selecting methods, techniques and evaluation criteria for obtaining results.
- Design, develop and orchestrate data pipelines for real-time and batch data processing using MemSQL.
- Design and develop reusable components and frameworks for ingestion, cleansing, and data quality.
- Improve quality of data, and ingest data from several data sources.
- Design and develop tailored data structures in Redshift.
- Quickly create functioning ETL prototypes to address quickly changing business needs.
- Knowledgeable in Hadoop, Pig, Hive, HBase and Spark.
- Bachelor's degree or four or more years of work experience.
- Four or more years of relevant work experience.
- Server-side software development experience
- Experience with Java
Ideally, you'll also have:
- Degree in Computer Science, Engineering
- ETL experience using SQL, Shell Scripting and Python
- Strong skills working with very large data sets with a variety of tools; experience in dealing with performance and scaling issues.
- SQL performance tuning including the ability to interpret explain plans and perform tuning.
- Knowledge of working with business intelligence tools (e.g., Tableau, Domo).
- Desired Skills/Experience:
- NoSQL experience (Cassandra, MongoDB)
- Development experience using Big data technologies including MemSQL, Hadoop, Pig, Hive, HBase, Spark.
- Development experience using Java for data processing
Equal Employment Opportunity
We're proud to be an equal opportunity employer - and celebrate our employees' differences, regardless of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, or Veteran status. Different makes us better.
Click here for more info: http://www.verizon.com/about/work/jobs/6495465-data-engineer