Join our Information Technology team where you will work on new technologies and find ways to meet our customers’ needs and make it easy for them to do business with us. You will regularly lead multiple medium to large-scale projects and guide staff members & peers. You will develop resolutions to complex problems creatively and make decisions that impact projects and staff members.
You will exercise considerable judgment in developing methods, techniques and evaluation criteria for obtaining results. Your work will be accomplished without direction.
This position will serve as the portfolio subject matter expert (SME) for cloud enabling applications. Applications will be a mix of legacy migration and new development. Position will be a member of a global team responsible for recommending cloud enablement strategies, in conjunction with the portfolio's Agile & DevOps initiatives. The resultant cloud enabled applications will be deployed into AWS (Amazon) public cloud, with non-production migrations to be followed by production deployments.
The portfolio currently has ~50 applications that are targeted for migration into the Amazon public cloud, with a mix of “lift & shift”, refactoring, and re-platforming; the major are lift & shift. Refactoring, in conjunction with the new features, has created an opportunity for PaaS implementations that will automatically provide the highly desired ability to scale & descale the compute resources.
Position will be required to work autonomously in driving cloud-enablement within the portfolio. Position is responsible for keeping the Director informed on related implementation issues, to be accompanied with remediation recommendations whenever technically feasible. Position will regularly meet with portfolio development directors/associate directors/managers and/or individual contributors to assist cloud enablement for their respective applications. He/She seeks upper management assistance when needed and has excellent judgment on when to escalate issues in his/her own management chain.
Develop/Provide best development & implementation practices for cloud enabling legacy applications.
Practices to include:
- Consult/Assist application development teams for AWS migrations.
- Develop guidelines for PaaS-oriented development & implementations (e.g. Cloud Foundry/Openshift).
- Develop guidelines for development & implementation of other container technology (e.g. native Docker & Kubernetes).
- For legacy application, practices to also include code refactoring guidelines towards development of microservices.
- Position will also collaborate with his direct leadership team for communications with IT leadership regarding forecast direction and changes.
- Bachelor’s degree or six or more years of work experience.
- Six or more years of relevant work experience.
- Experience in Information Technology.
Ideally, you’ll also have:
- Five or more years of experience in Subject Matter Expertise for developing cloud enabled applications including, but not limited to:
- Cloud Foundry
- Docker, Kubernetes
- AWS (EC2, EC2 Container Service, S3, Elastic File System, Elastic Beanstalk, Lambda, RDS)
- Deep understanding of the AWS security model
Note: The predominate development language for all of above is JAVA.
- Ability to function with limited direction and guidance and be able to diagnose a wide variety of problems.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Ability to work in a team environment, demonstrate leadership skills and be able to mentor junior engineers both technically and follow established business practices and guidelines.
Not to boast, but a little bit about us
Verizon powers America’s fastest and most reliable network. We’re also leading the way in cloud and security solutions, Internet of Things and video entertainment. Technology moves fast and so do we. We believe that bringing great ideas and customer experiences to life should be recognized and rewarded. Whether you think in code, words, pictures or numbers, find your future at Verizon.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We're proud to be an equal opportunity employer - and celebrate our employees' differences, regardless of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, or Veteran status. Different makes us better.
Click here for more info: http://www.verizon.com/about/work/jobs/6605419-aws-solutions-architect
• Post ID: 49013236 northdfw