If you are curious about new technology and the possibilities it creates, then this job may be perfect for you. As part of the Information Technology team, you will work on new technologies and find ways to meet our customers’ needs and make it easy for them to do business with us. You will use your expertise to solve complex problems and find unique solutions. The work you’ll do every single day will make people’s lives, work and play better
With the right skills and experience, this IT Project Manager will be expected to perform as a Scrum Master, using agile project management techniques to deliver the most business benefit in an efficient sprint-based approach. This means that the IT Project Manager must have the leadership skills, functional expertise, organization skills, and negotiation skills to lead a small project team through prioritization exercises, scope planning, and project planning exercises in order to determine what application features and enhancements can be delivered and when.
The IT Project Manager will also be expected to coach the IT Project Management Team to broaden their knowledge of best in class Dev Ops-enabled agile project management techniques and the latest project management trends.
Tactical planning– Work with project teams to align user stories/enhancements to release sprints and track progress on those commitments. The IT Project Manager will receive business requirements in the form of user stories or functional requirements from business partners. The IT Project Manager will define a high level deliver schedule, and facilitate weekly backlog grooming sessions to review the business requirements, gather feedback from IT designers, developers, and testers, and slot the business requirements into 2-4 week timeslots. The IT Project Manager will also facilitate daily core team meetings to track progress and ensure ontime delivery of committed user stories/enhancements. The user stories/enhancements, commitments, and progress will be tracked in JIRA and reported in Clarity and Verizon IT’s PM Tool. The IT Project Manager will also be expected to report progress in weekly management review sessions and to Senior Leadership.
Issues and risks management– The IT Project Manager will be expected to facilitate the resolution of tactical project issues. Examples of project issues might be delays in receiving information needed to proceed forward, coding activities which require more time than originally anticipated which cause a delay in starting testing, or a change in business direction or process. The IT Project Manager will also be expected to proactively identify potential issues and risks which might happen, and identify potential resolution approaches in the event that the risk(s) occur. The IT Project Manager is responsible for minimizing the impact of issues and risks which may jeopardize successful project delivery.
Roadmap planning– When assigned a project, the IT Project Manager will receive a list of user stories/enhancements from the Business which may exceed IT’s delivery capacity in a single release. In this situation, the IT Project Manager is expected to collaborate with both the Business and IT stakeholders on the development of an overall delivery roadmap plan which spans multiple releases/phases, as well as identify which of the highest priority requirements can be delivered in the first release(s). Enhancements are typically prioritized based on the amount of business benefit (such as increased revenue or improved productivity).
Project status/communications– Collect project updates, document consolidated project status, publish project level and executive level project status reports. The IT Project Manager will be expected to provide written and verbal status weekly in Director level and Manager level review meetings, in writing on a daily or weekly basis to the project teams, and weekly or monthly up to the VP level.
- Bachelor’s degree or six or more years of work experience.
- Six or more years of relevant work experience.
- Experience as an agile project manager, scrum master, or agile coach.
Ideally, you’ll also have:
- A proven track record of successfully implementing software or web development projects using Agile methodologies including eight or more years of experience as a Project Manager managing large, complex projects in a high-tech development environment with multi-function teams.
- Experience coaching agile and Agile Manifesto experience, working knowledge, and lessons learned.
- Solid understanding of software development life cycle models as well as expert knowledge of both Agile and traditional project management principles and practices and the ability to blend them together in the right proportions to fit a project and business environment.
- Experience overseeing multi-function project teams with at least 10-15 team members including Developers, Business Analysts, and QA Personnel.
- Collaborative mindset to establish and maintain a productive working relationship with project sponsors and key stakeholder personnel at all organizational levels.
- Eager and willing to proactively and independently keep up with new trends, tools, and industry recommendations.
- Balanced business/technical background; a sufficient level of technical background to provide highly-credible leadership to development teams and to be able to accurately and objectively evaluate complex project risks and issues.
- Experience performing investigation and analysis of project issues. Collect and report production metrics prior to, during, and after project completion to validate results.
- Excellent oral and written communication and presentation skills required. Must be able to present and effectively communicate project goals and results. Requires expertize in creating executive level presentations in PowerPoint to convey project goals, scope, roadmap, and status.
- Expertise preparing and presenting product demonstrations and executive readouts.
- Seven or more years of experience as an agile project manager, scrum master, agile coach in a technology-focused company.
- MA or MS is a plus.
- Strong interpersonal skills including mentoring, coaching, collaborating, and team building.
- Strong analytical, planning, and organizational skills with an ability to manage competing demands.
- Strong knowledge and understanding of business needs with the ability to establish/maintain high level of business and customer trust and confidence.
- Proven ability to lead software development projects and ensure objectives, goals, and commitments are met.
- Solid understanding of and demonstrated experience in using appropriate tools such as JIRA, Confluence, Clarity, as well as all Microsoft Office tools.
- Excellent oral and written communications skills and experience interacting with both business and IT individuals at all levels including the executive level.
- Creative approach to problem-solving with the ability to focus on details while maintaining the “big picture” view.
Not to boast, but a little bit about us
Verizon powers America’s fastest and most reliable network. We’re also leading the way in cloud and security solutions, Internet of Things and video entertainment. Technology moves fast and so do we. We believe that bringing great ideas and customer experiences to life should be recognized and rewarded. Whether you think in code, words, pictures or numbers, find your future at Verizon.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We're proud to be an equal opportunity employer - and celebrate our employees' differences, regardless of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, or Veteran status. Different makes us better.
Click here for more info: http://www.verizon.com/about/work/jobs/6641417-agile-project-manager